A Brief History

Faculty Club Front Entrance
41 Willcocks Survey Maps
click on the maps below for larger versions

1910 Survey Map

1910 Survey Map

1923 Survey Map
1923 survey map

On May 11, 1886, the original owner of the estate at 41 Willcocks Street, today’s address of The Faculty Club, was Sir Adam Wilson. Comprising 100 acres, on December 22, 1798, Willcocks Street was also referred in some deeds as “Wilcox” Street and it may have been named after William Willcocks. On July 1, 1888 The Honorable Sir Adam Wilson, "Knight", and his wife Emma Wilson sold 41 Willcocks Street to Elizabeth Prudence Campbell, "widow" for $5,625. In 1889 the attached houses at 37 and 39 Willcocks were shown as built and occupied. By 1892, Mrs. Elizabeth Prudence Campbell was shown as the occupant of 41 Willcocks and would continue to be listed as the occupant from 1892 until her death in 1916, 24 years later. In 1917 and also in 1918, a Deborah Campbell was shown as the occupant at 41 Willcocks Street. In 1919, the address was listed as "vacant".

On October 15, 1919, George Cooper Campbell, "barrister" and Robert Wood Campbell, “commercial traveller”, the Executors of the Estate of Elizabeth Prudence Campbell, sold 41 Willcocks Street to the Primrose Club Limited for $17,250, including $5,000 in cash and a mortgage taken back for the balance. By 1920, the Primrose Club was shown as the occupant of and it would continue to be the occupant until 1959, for a period of 40 years. In 1959, The Governors of the University of Toronto were empowered "to expropriate all such real property as they may deem necessary for the purposes of the University of Toronto..." By the early 1960s, the city directory showed that at 41 Willcocks Street the occupant was the University of Toronto Faculty Club, and this continues to be the case in 2008, 47 years later. In 2010 we celebrated our 50th anniversary. Click here to see a slideshow of the event.



University of Toronto Website Faculty Club Home