Cinema Studies Resources
A comprehensive list of online film and film-related journals. (Innis Library)
Library Research Guides (LibGuides)
- CIN201: Film Cultures I: Art & Industry (2015-16)
- CIN374: American Cinema of the Studio Era
- MUS210: Music in Film (Summer 2016). SEE ALSO: Musicals
- FCS310: French Cinema
- Film Genres (incl. Animation, Avant-garde & Experimental, B-movies & Cult Cinema, Comedy, Documentary, Film Noir, Horror, The Musical, Science Fiction, The Western.)
- National Cinemas
Other Cinema Studies Resources
Best Research Resources for Cinema (UofT Library) A varied collection of scholarly cinema studies resources: article databases, encyclopedias and dictionaries, text collections (scripts, primary source material), course-related research guides.
Online Video Resources (Media Commons, 3rd flr., Robarts Library). A growing number of online video resources is now offered by UofT Libraries, available for classroom and individual streaming when logged in with your UTORID. Individual title records are available in the Library catalogue.
Worth a look:
- Film Studies for Free (2008+) A "web-archive" more than a journal, packed with current and archival material, and links to a variety of online scholarly resources.
- Senses of Cinema (2000)+ "Great Directors" list incl. filmographies, bibliographies, web resources, interviews, links to articles. "Special Dossiers" section incl. grouped articles on a wide variety of topics e.g., national cinemas, individual directors, individual films, etc.
- ***NEW*** London Film and Media Conference Series of Conference Readers available as PDF ebooks for download.
- The OAPEN Library contains freely accessible academic books, mainly in the area of Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Film Studies For Free (Catherine Grant, U. of Sussex) E-books list. A "... permanent, and continuously updated listing of more than 100 free ebooks in film and moving image studies.
- The Online Books Page (U. Penn.)
- UCPress Ebooks Collection, 1991-2003 (U. California) Select Subject, then Cinema and Performance Arts
Internet Archive - Movies A diverse collection of films available free for downloading.
from Columbia University Libraries
from Alexander Street Press (UofT access only)
- Asian Film Online, vols. I & II "...offers a view of Asian culture as seen through the lens of the independent Asian filmmaker.... a selection of over 1,000 narrative feature films, documentaries and shorts...".
- New World Cinema: Independent Features & Shorts, 1990-Present The collection includes over 200 full-length feature films from leading independent distributors such as Kino Lorber, First Run Features, Film Movement, MK2, and Global Lens.
- Silent Film Online covers silent features, serials, and shorts from the 1890s to the 1930s.