Q. What is a JOINid?
A. The JOINid is an identifier that U of T applicants can use to log into certain websites, including:
- join.utoronto.ca : the online community and application tracking system for undergraduate applicants
- myres.utoronto.ca : the residence application system for any applicant
Q. When will I receive my JOINid?
A. Approximately 3-5 days after you submit your online application for admission, you will receive an acknowledgement email from U of T with information about your JOINid.
Q. What is the difference between a JOINid and a UTORid?
A. The JOINid is an identifier for new applicants to U of T. The UTORid is an identifier for current or recent U of T students.
Q. How do I enable my JOINid?
A. To enable your JOINid, be sure to have your acknowledgment email handy and go to Enable your JOINid.
You will be asked to enter the following information:
- U of T Applicant/Student Number
- Date of Birth
- For undergraduate applicants and applicants to the graduate programs in Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy or in Rehabilitational Sciences: if you have applied to U of T through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC), you will need your OUAC/ORPAS Reference Number. Please note that your OUAC/ORPAS Reference Number is not your User ID beginning with "IT".
Your OUAC/ORPAS Reference Number can be found in the email confirmation sent to you by OUAC. It begins with the current year (four digits) and you must add a zero to the end of this number when enabling your JOINid.
Q. I previously logged into the JOIN U of T Portal and now it's denying me access. Why?
A. If you are having problems logging into JOIN U of T ,
- Check that you have entered your password correctly. Please note that your password is case sensitive.
- Make sure you are using an updated browser and that cookies are enabled.
- Some students have experienced difficulty using the Google Chrome browser. If you have been unable to log in using Google Chrome, please try using Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox instead.
Q. How can I reset my JOINid password?
A. If you have lost or forgotten your password, have your acknowledgment email handy and follow the reset your password link from the JOIN U of T login page . You will be asked for the following information:
- U of T Applicant/Student Number
- Date of Birth
- Undergraduate applicants only: if you have applied to U of T through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC), you will need your OUAC Reference Number. Please note that your OUAC Reference Number is not your User ID beginning with "IT".
Your OUAC Reference Number can be found in the email confirmation sent to you by OUAC. It begins with the current year (four digits) and you must add a zero to the end of this number when resetting your JOINid password.
Q. How do I set up my mail.utoronto.ca email account?
A. University of Toronto Email accounts are only available to students. Newly-admitted students must obtain a TCard in person at one of the three campus TCard offices. When you obtain your TCard, you will be given a "Secret Activation Key" and instructions for activating both your UTORid and your utoronto.ca email account. For further information about the TCard, including TCard office hours, please visit TCard web page .
Q. I am having problems logging into my utoronto.ca email account, the U of T Portal, and the U of T wireless network. What should I do?
A. To use these services, you must have a valid UTORid and there are steps you must take to "activate" it. You will not be able to log into these services with your JOINid. For help activating your UTORid, please visit the IC Help Desk UTORid activiation page .
Q. How can I reset my UTORid password?
A. If you set up the forgotten password utility when creating or activating your UTORid, please visit "Reset your password". If you have not set up the forgotten password utility, you must come in person to one of the Help Desks on any of the three campuses to reset your UTORid password. For more detailed information, please visit the IC Help Desk Accounts and Passwords page .
Q. Why can't I log in to join.utoronto.ca with my existing UTORid and password anymore?
A. There are a few possible reasons why you might no longer be able to log into join.utoronto.ca with your existing UTORid and password:
- If you have lost or forgotten your UTORid password, please see the instructions above for resetting it
- If you have recently been accepted into a program, you will need to "activate" your UTORid before it can be used again. For help activating your UTORid, please visit the IC Help Desk UTORid activiation page .
- You may have been issued more than one UTORid or JOINid in error. Until the error is resolved, your application will be tracked using the most recently-issued ID. If your JOINid and your UTORid are not identical, or if you have been issued more than one of either ID, please do the following:
- If you have received your TCard, you may resolve the error at a TCard office on any of the three U of T campuses
- If you do not have a TCard, please contact the Help Desk. For Help Desk contact information, please visit: the IC Help Desk Support Services page .